FCT Rising Insecurity: Panic, as bandits kill one, kidnap four in Abuja community


Bandits, in the early hours of Sunday, renewed their onslaught on Bwari Area Council in the nation’s capital.
At least, four persons were reportedly kidnapped, and one other killed. The incident happened in the Guto area of Bwari.

The attack which began around 12:30am on the fringes of Guto and Piyawe communities, dovetailed into Tudun-Fulani and Sabon Gari areas, both in the headquarters of Bwari Area Council.

Eyewitnesses claim that two separate groups had invaded the area council, with kidnappers numbering over 30, surrounded the communities shooting sporadically and forcing their way into people’s homes.

Eyewitnesses further alleged that the invaders came into the Piwaye through the swamps and made their way to Guto and Piyawe where they kidnapped a man and killed a woman in her mid forties.

The deceased, whose name was simply given as Madam Alice, was said to have only visited her sick mother who stays with her brother in Bwari where she unfortunately met her end.
Two victims were allegedly abducted from their homes in Guto, while another person was kidnapped from Tudun-Fulani, which is less than a kilometre from the council secretariat.

A resident who pleaded anonymity, said the attackers operated from 12:30am to 2:30am with no challenge from security agencies.
“What happened last night was very unfortunate. We couldn’t sleep from 12:30am when they stated till almost three o’clock. Initially we thought it was vigilantes that were shooting, but when it became persistent, we knew these people are back again.

“We have had peace for sometimes now but unfortunately they have resumed and this time with full force because it was two groups that entered Bwari that yesterday. One were in Guto while the other group was in Piyawe. It was obvious those ones came prepared, because the sounds we heard through the night, suggest they came with sophisticated weapon,” the eyewitness told newsmen.

Another resident of Tudun-Fulani who would not like to be mentioned, alleged that the police failed to show even when frantic calls where made to the divisional headquarters in Bwari.

“We felt so helpless because for the kidnappers operated for over an hour, but there was no police or army to challenge them. I called my neighbour when the shooting started and he said he had already called the police. We waited for them to show up for 20 minutes and when we didn’t hear sounds of sirens, we called again but they keep telling us they were un their way. We never saw them until the kidnappers left on their own, she claimed.

Bwari Area Council had been in the news in the early part of the year, when bandits and kidnappers overran the area council abducting people for ransom.

A 400 level student of ABU Zaria, Nabeeha Al-Kadriyar and 13 years old Folashade Ariyo, were both kidnapped in separate attacks in Bwari and Dutse-Alhaji respectively. Both victims were later killed by their abductors following failure to secure their release on time.

Attempts to get the police reaction on the latest attack has been unsuccessful, as phone calls and WhatsApp messages sent to the Police Public Relations Officer For the FCT Command, Josephine Adeh, were unanswered.