
Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, visited Kano State following the killing of 16 hunters in Uromi, Edo State. The visit came amid growing outrage in northern Nigeria over the incident involving a vigilante group.
Upon arriving at the Kano Government House on Monday, Governor Okpebholo met with Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf and other officials. Okpebholo assured that his administration is working with security agencies to ensure justice for the slain hunters.
“The perpetrators of this heinous act will not go unpunished. So far, 14 suspects have been arrested, and investigations are ongoing to ensure justice is served,” Okpebholo said.
The victims, mostly from Kano State, were reportedly intercepted and burned to death by a vigilante group in Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area of Edo State.
Governor Yusuf called for the prosecution of all suspects and urged the Federal Government to disclose their identities and compensate the families of the deceased.
“This is a serious tragedy that must not be overlooked. We expect prompt prosecution of the suspects and adequate compensation to the families affected by this act of brutality,” Yusuf said.
Okpebholo emphasized that violence against any ethnic or religious group would not be tolerated and promised a thorough investigation.